Friday, April 02, 2010

Missions in Orthodoxy: My friend James

A while ago, an anonymous poster asked if there are any missions in Orthodoxy.  Now, I have a current example of this being the case.  My friend James has been traveling the US, seeking support both prayerful and financial, and now he's making final preparations to travel to Africa.  Here's his latest update.  I especially like the  reflections on the commissioning service at the very end.

Dear Friends,
Safiri salama!
This phrase, which translates as "May you travel in peace" is what I  
ask each of you to wish me on Wednesday, April 14th of this year 2010.
That date is the answer to the question many of you have asked over  
these past two years-- a question that I've often asked myself. That  
is the date of my departure for Tanzania!
Exactly one month before departure, on Sunday March 14th, I was  
commissioned to serve as a long-term OCMC missionary at my home parish  
of St Elizabeth Greek Orthodox Church in Gainesville, Florida. I was  
commissioned by my priest, Father Nikitas Theodosion, as well as  
Father David Rucker of the Orthodox Christian Mission Center. As a PS  
to this email I'll reflect a little on the prayers of commissioning,  
and on what this new stage in my life will mean.
Thank you.
Here's what the next few months may look like:
April 4th: I hope to celebrate the Resurrection of Christ with the  
faithful of St. Elizabeth Greek Orthodox Church at home in Gainesville.
April 14th: Departure for Africa from Washington, DC
April 16th: Arrival in Mwanza
May 3rd: Language school begins in Dar es Salaam, on Tanzania's east  
coast.
July: By this time, if God wills, missionaries Felice Stewart and  
Katie Wilcoxson may join me in Dar es Salaam. They hope to start  
beginning language courses as I continue my Swahili study at an  
intermediate level.
August: I hope to finish advanced-level Swahili courses by the end of  
this month as missionary Michael Pagedas (and possibly Maria Roeber)  
join Katie and Felice in language school. As my colleagues continue  
language study, God willing I will be able to move to Mwanza and begin  
my assignment with the local Church there.
There is much more than this to say, and I'll say more in the PS. God  
is good. By your prayers and faithfulness, I'm on track to receive all  
the financial support necessary to keep me on the field long-term.  
Most of this comes from a team of about fifty supporters, each giving  
roughly $50 monthly through 2012. A few supporters are giving a little  
more, and many are giving $10 - $15 per month. It is humbling and  
exciting to watch God multiply these offerings as He did the loaves  
and fishes to provide for his servants. Thank you for your  
participation in this work.
Please stay in touch. I look forward to reporting from the field  
shortly!
By your prayers,
James
PS
There is a service used by Eastern Orthodox Christians of every  
diocese and background in the United States for the commissioning of a  
new missionary to long-term overseas work. It's short-- litanies, the  
hymn for Pentecost and the hymn for Ss Cyril & Methodius, Scripture  
reading, and the prayer of commissioning itself. As Fr. David and Fr.  
Nikitas placed their stoles over my head, here is the assignment that  
was given me:
O God, our God, Who Sent Your only-begotten Son for our salvation, and  
at His bidding gave to His disciples the Holy Spirit, send down Your  
Holy Spirit upon this your servant James and commission him for this  
present ministry of proclaiming Your Good News and sharing Your love.  
Travel with him as You traveled with Your servant Joseph and deliver  
him from all agitation and slander and all devices of the evil one.  
Keep him strong in body and soul so that he may be light to those  
still in darkness. And grant that he may fulfill in all righteousness  
Your command to go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them  
in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit and  
teaching them to observe all that You have commanded. May his service  
be pleasing in Your sight that he may praise and glorify Your most  
Holy and magnificent Name, of the Father and of the Son and of the  
Holy Spirit, now and forevermore.
This is also the assignment that was given to the faithful present at  
my commissioning, and it is what I ask each of you to join in as you  
are able. Over the past year, I have met many of you face-to-face, and  
bear witness to the great love and faith that you practice in your  
parishes and communities throughout North America. As I bear witness  
to the glory of God being proclaimed here on American soil, I am able  
to carry to Africa this message and faith that God has shown me  
through you. It is by your prayers, friendship, encouragement and  
material support that I am sent to participate in the apostolic work  
of the Orthodox Church in Tanzania. In a very real way, my assignment  
is only to be a vehicle of your love and faith, faithfully  
transmitting to Africa what you have given me here.
As I learn to participate locally in God's glory, it is each of you  
who will be proclaiming the glory of God in Mwanza and throughout  
Tanzania. So I ask for your continued involvement in this work. Please  
keep giving. Please keep writing. Please keep calling (I'll have  
Skype). Keep me accountable. And most of all, please keep me before  
the face of God in your holy prayers. Through your prayers, I have  
already been borne along over the past year. God's grace has been  
abundant. The challenges of adjusting to a new language and culture in  
this next year will call for a continued abundance of that grace.
Please also be patient. In order to meaningfully participate in the  
life of the Church, I have to listen to people. In order to listen to  
people, I have to learn their language and their culture. This takes  
years.The very first line in my job description states that my  
"primary responsibility the first year will be language acquisition  
and enculturation." And a year is just the tip of the iceberg.  So you  
won't be hearing dramatic stories of my impact on Tanzania any time  
soon. You might just hear some stories about Tanzania's impact on me.  
By your prayers and if God wills, in the next five to ten years I  
should have begun to learn the language and culture well enough to  
play a role in what might be called "meaningful results." This  
vocation as a missionary is a long-term commitment, and I'm grateful  
for your patience and friendship as the process begins.
Tutaonana baadaye! Seeya later!
In Christ,
James
Yonder are the crowns, yonder the punishments.
-- St. John Chrysostom 
If you're interested in offering financial support to James through this venture, please contact him at the address below.  I know he'd appreciate any prayers.
James Hargrave
c/o OCMC
220 Mason Manatee Way
St. Augustine, FL
32086 
239 464-6515 (cell)

No comments: